I arrived just fine on thursday morning, no issues, I was even picked up by CIEE (which I wasn't expecting). The only thing was that after arriving at the airport in São Paulo, I had to wait a few hours for others who would be riding with us. Although it gave me time to meet the other people in the program is was really hard to just sit there when São Paulo was riiiight outside. I was so anxious and exicited to go into the city! But that gave way to exhaustion after the first hour. I ended up falling asleep on the bus ride to the hotel (missed our first tour through the city, basically!) which is located on Avenida Paulista, a very important street in the city. I think that stat to know is that 3/4 of São Paulo's money is on this avenue (lots of banks and major commercal activity).
Speaking portuguese was scary at first but I am proud of myself for putting myself outhere and speaking as much as possible, even though my proficiency isn't that good. We have monitores (students at the University that work with CIEE) who have been increadibly helpfull and kind. And fun. We've gone out a few times now, last night to a small concert, and its been great. Lots of Brazilian funk. Some samba.
I met my host family for the first time on Friday and we hit if off right away. I think my parents would be very happy to know that they have hosted many times before and expect to take of my as part of their family. They picked my up this morning (Sunday) and brought me home where I have wireless (and fast!) internet access and my own room. So if anyone would like to keep in contact using skype, it would be very easy (my skype username is simple: sarahmercado).
I'm pretty tired at the moment, so I'm going to take a nap. From now it'll be easier to update this blog (with WiFi), and I'll have more comments on life here and my impressions of the city. Just want to let you all know I'm doing great and not to worry!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment